20170902

September 1 and 2, 2017


Yesterday was the first of September and i moved the August 15 tomatoes out of the ‘nursery’ into ‘mature row’ where they are now exposed to the driving rain or merciless sun or both in the same day as often happens during typhoon season.

 Transplanting the biggest tomatoes to new containers can be a real pain when the soil is too wet – next time I’ll let them dry a bit.
 
The containers I used were old 1.5 liter coke bottles sliced in half and poked with several drip holes. The tip of a tiny screwdriver heated with a candle pokes holes nicely. I’d previously used these to mix plaster of paris sometime ago – no point throwing them out.
 
Today I started at 10am, made lunch at 1pm and continued at a leisurely pace until close to sunset.
 My shoulders and much of my upper body are now nicely bronzed after baking under ultraviolet - next time I'm putting on a shirt and a straw hat.

I sowed lots more tomatoes, basil and mint – here they are in the nursery:
i didn't want to go out in saturday traffic to get more compost so i had to make do with some very sticky clay i put aside long ago. i'm fairly apprehensive and will be quite pleased if these germinate and mature.  either way, i can always sow again when if these are duds.


I rearranged mature row for the nth time and i settled with this:

 
As usual, I propagated a whole lot more snake plant, Zamioculcas (aka Welcome Plant), and something I suspect to be a mutant ixora with curly leaves. If half of these successfully mature, I’ll have holiday gifts for all my aunts and cousins who like to garden too.

 twas a long and productive day so i'm leaving things like this for now. pardon typos and poor layout, i'll fix it all sooner or later.

It was Ryuichi Sakamoto all day and i blasted these fine rips from youtube - thanks to the kind souls who uploaded them:





gardening is such bliss when i have my tunes playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment