20170904

Monday Garden Blues

things aren't too encouraging today.


the rains have stopped and an experiment didn't pan out (or is taking too darn long. at least there are a few things to smile about.


 i've rescued this unloved and unnoticed plant back in 2012 after seeing potted in a rusted can in my mom's backyard. i took it and transplanted into one of my flower beds and it's grown large. it's also infested with ants and i am studying just how to deal with these pests.

 my first proper hibiscus bloom for the second half of 2017.

also making is an appearance is violet Allamanda the the neighbor gave me a few years go.
so far it's my most successful bloomer and i tend to take it for granted.




 well not anymore as i took a few cuttings just as a propagation experiment.



i'm freeing up the nursery
  
because the seeds i sowed a couple of days ago did not germinate. i'm guessing it was the improper medium i used: clay, or maybe the seeds baked under direct afternoon sunlight. still, the never-say-die ethic of gardeners prevails and i banished them to the shady corner under a large tree.
 
 i'll wait a few more days and will sow again if these miscreants don't provide desired results.
 
i realize i'm still a city-boy

fresh coconuts from my folks' recent trip to the province proved challenging. i've seen our tenants split these things thousands of times with their machetes but not wanting to lose any fingers, i went for a blade i had more control of. apparently not enough control this time as i slammed the knife's edge against the kitchen counter twice - i'm lucky i didn't nick my 10" messerling trinity.

worried about further damaging my knife, i resorted to brute force and split the coconut with my bare hands after pouring out the coconut water into a pitcher.



 it was a quite day today
i was too lazy to bring out speakers for background music. still, i forgot to post a few days ago that i found my own garden anthem. one of my earliest heroes, the great hugh fearnley-whittingstall always had baba o'riley as his theme and it's very him.

while i was on binging on sakamoto the other day, i found my own piece of music to celebrate my culinary gardening. from the 1984 opus Illustrated Musical Encyclopedia. here is ryuichi san's masterful collaboration with the great thomas dolby:


ryuichi sakamoto: fieldwork

it's just a vamp going from G to D with a pulsating synth pad and a few well placed slap bass fills. this was pino palladino era sakamoto but i don't think it was him who did the bass embellishment here.



No comments:

Post a Comment